I realize there are people who can not tolerate clothing or home decor that used to belong to someone else, but I don't mind. I believe you will never find a treasure unless you introduce yourself to a thrift store. There are thousands of treasures just waiting to be found.
There are certainly people out there who have a different opinion of what a treasure is. For me, it's an item that reminds me of something or fills a void of something I've always wanted. Most of the time, it reminds me of an era that I never got to be a part of that I'm fascinated with. There's no time travel available to me, so finding these antiques/treasures are the closet I'll get to being a part of the 1950s (or any other decade before me).
I seem to have this gift of being able to find a treasure in a thrift store if there's one to find. Maybe it's because I've been a thrift store shopper since the Fall of '97. Maybe it's because I have such a passion for vintage/antique items. Maybe it's because I'm so open to owning something someone else wanted to get rid of. Your trash has become my treasure.
Today's treasure? A large yellow recipe box full of 643 Betty Crocker recipe cards circa 1971 (The Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library). It cost me only $3. I also bought a cute ceramic bird house cookie jar. If you're just getting to know me, you'll learn along the way just how much I love all things birds. The cookie jar was also only $3 (half price today).
"I've got home sweet Oklahoma on my mind." - Patti Page
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
I am a neat person. I have a lot of interests. Too many to be able to keep separate blogs and actually update them on a regular basis. So a light bulb went off and I decided I would create just one blog that would cover all the things I love - based on where I live. This is my OK life.
Labels
Blog Archive
Wp Theme by Promiseringsdesigns | Blogger Template by Anshul
Filed Under :
Sunday, August 1, 2010
2 comments:
It's Jen Moreno. The only profile I could remember tonight is my AIM.
I'm a birdie, cookie, cookie jar, and old recipe lover. :D I was so happy to find on ebay a circa 1972 Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, with the additional pages from the magazine added. :)
What kind of cookies are you going to make? Do we get to see your cookie jar???
I still haven't decided on a cookie recipe. I'm still going through all the recipes in the box just to see what treasures are in there. There are some pretty gnarly looking recipes and some delicious ones too. Maybe I'll pull a Julie and Julia kind of thing and try to make each recipe at least once. ;)
I'll try to get a picture of the birdhouse cookie jar this week. It's pretty darn cute! There's a little bird sitting on the top of it and it has a little chip on it, but other than that, it is in great shape!
Post a Comment